If you have just started to consider joining Arbonne's business opportunity, you are then probably asking yourself questions such as:
What is Arbonne's compensation plan?
Is Arbonne worth it?
Is Arbonne a scam?
and so on...
Well, I am here today to help you make an informed decision as to whether you should become an Arbonne Consultant.
Before I move on, I would like to make it clear that with this kind of direct selling companies, you will never make money without first going through some adequate training.
Many people make the huge mistake of trying to make money by bothering family and friends, but that is not how it should be done.
Making money online requires the right knowledge, so before you dive into direct selling, I recommend you go through this free How to make money online legitimately training, which can then be applied to different scenarios 🙂
This will save you years of "trying" to make things work.
Arbonne Business Opportunity Summary
Product Name: Arbonne
Price: From £30 to £999
Best for: People who already have a solid marketing knowledge and would know how to make money by selling products without involving the recruitment aspect.
Summary: Although Arbonne is advertised as a direct selling company, consultants put a lot of emphasis into making commission by recruiting other people, rather than by selling products. This makes Arbonne a pyramid scheme in disguise, meaning that the ones at the top of the pyramid are the ones who make the most money.
What is Arbonne?
Arbonne was founded in 1980 by Norwegian entrepreneur Petter Mørck. It now has its headquarters in Irvinne, California.
In 1965, Petter was in charge of a skincare and makeup division for a company in Norway. As he was not satisfied with this company's products, he decided to set up his own "green" company.
Arbonne products are cruelty-free and are distributed in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Poland, and New Zealand by a network of Arbonne Independent Consultants.
Today, Arbonne has over $500 million in revenue and more than 200,000 Independent Consultants.
Here are a few things that the company has accomplished:
- 38 years of botanical, vegan, cruelty-free formulas
- Recyclable product packaging
- Installation of Force Energy machines for energy efficiency and reduction in facilities
- Water conservation of 67% reduction in water used, per product batch, from 2013 to 2016
What is the Arbonne business opportunity about?
Becoming an Arbonne Consultant gives you the opportunity to earn an income in 4 different ways:
- Profits from your sales
- Earnings from product sales by your team
- Mercedes-Benz Cash Bonus Programme for Vice Presidents
- Cash bonuses offered at every level and based on team sales performance
Joining the Arbonne Business Opportunity is quite simple:
- Go to their registration page
- Scroll down to "Start Earning as an Independent Consultant" and click on the "Start Earning" button
- Select your country and language and click on "Continue"
- Choose your Arbonne welcome kit and proceed to checkout
- Follow the instructions on screen and submit your order
UK consultants will pay £30 to register and £25 to renew. Terms are 12 months long.
Types of Arbonne kits available
Prices vary depending on country. Click on each kit name to reveal content:
Welcome Starter Kit
Share Arbonne Pack - £40
Arbonne Essentials - £170
Choose TWO of these three items:
- Body Cleanse
- Greens Balance
- Daily Fiber Support
Arbonne Makeup - £170
This comes with six beauty basics plus one of each:
- Pencil eye liner
- Brow pencil
- Brow cream
- Lip gloss
- Lip liner
- A 12 shade eye shadow palette
Arbonne Cosmetics Pack - £511
- Liquid Foundation - Soft Blush
- Liquid Foundation - Buff
- Liquid Foundation - Honey Beige
- Liquid Foundation - Neutral Beige
- Liquid Foundation - Rosy Beige
- The Real Conceal Liquid Concealer - Light
- The Real Conceal Liquid Concealer - Medium Warm
- Blush - Blossom
- Blush - Dusty Rose
- It's a Fine Line Eyeliner - Eclipse
- It's a Fine Line Eyeliner - Arbor
- Eye Liner - Carbon
- Eye Liner - Carob
- Its all in the Eyes Volume 1 Eye Shadow Palette
- Its all in the Eyes Volume 2 Eye Shadow Palette
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Gladiola
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Lily
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Orchid
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Aster
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Magnolia
- Smoothed Over Lipstick - Rose
- Speak Volumes Mascara
- Sheer Glow Highlight Stick
- CC Cream - Fair
- CC Cream - Light
- CC Cream - Medium
- CC Cream - Deep
- Shape It Up Brow Pencil - Medium
- Brush Set
- Makeup Concealer Brush
Choose 2 Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo
- Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo - Petunia
- Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo - Jasmine
- Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo - Azalea
- Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo - Amaryllis
- Double Take Matte & Shine Lip Duo - Redwood
Free Business Aids
- Disposable Cosmetic Wedges
- Acrylic Cup Set
- Speak Volumes Mascara Disposable Wands - 25 Pack
- Disposable Eye Shadow Applicator - 25 Pack
- Disposable Lip Brushes - 25 Pack
- Makeup Case
Arbonne Business Pack - £999
- RE9 Advanced® Smoothing Facial Cleanser
- RE9 Advanced Intensive Renewal Serum
- RE9 Advanced Restorative Cream SPF 20
- RE9 Advanced Regenerating Toner
- RE9 Advanced Night Repair Cream
- RE9 Advanced Corrective Eye Cream
- RE9 Advanced Retexturizing Serum in Lotion
- RE9 Advanced Brightening Set
- Arbonne Intelligence Nourishing Facial Oil
- RE9 Advanced Prepwork Cleansing Polish
- RE9 Advanced Prepwork Hydrating Dew Cream
- RE9 Advanced Prepwork Gel Eye Masks
- RE9 Advanced Prepwork Soft Focus Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- RE9 Advanced for Men Anti-Ageing Moisturiser Broad Spectrum SPF 15
- RE9 Advanced for Men Micro-Exfoliating Cleanser
- RE9 Advanced for Men Eye Repair Cream
- Shea Butter Moisturizing Lip Balm
- Shea Butter Hand Cream
- Arbonne Makeup Primer
- Arbonne Makeup Speak Volumes Mascara
- Arbonne Makeup Sheer Glow Highlight Stick
- Its All in the Eyes Eye Shadow Palette Volume 1
- Its All in the Eyes Eye Shadow Palette Volume 2
- Arbonne Liquid Sunshine Tinted Self-Tanner
- Rescue & Renew Detox Body Wash
- Rescue & Renew Pure Essential Oil Focus Blend
- Rescue & Renew Detox Bath Soak
- Rescue & Renew Detox Scrub
- Rescue & Renew Detox Lotion
- Rescue & Renew Detox Face Mask
- Rescue & Renew Detox Oil
- Rescue & Renew Detox Gelée
- Rescue & Renew Pure Essential Oil – Harmony Blend
- ABC Arbonne Baby Care Hair & Body Wash
- ABC Arbonne Baby Care Body Lotion
- ABC Arbonne Baby Care Diaper Rash Cream
- ABC Arbonne Baby Care Sunscreen SPF 30
- Arbonne Essentials® Daily Fiber Support
- Arbonne Essentials Herbal Infusion Blend
- Arbonne Essentials Digestion Plus
- Arbonne Essentials Greens Balance
- Arbonne Essentials Energy Fizz Sticks - Citrus
- Arbonne Essentials Energy Fizz Sticks – Pomegranate
- Protein Powder Shake – Chocolate AND/OR Protein
- Powder Shake – Vanilla
- Arbonne Water Bottle
- Protein Shaker Cup
- Arbonne Essentials Sampling Bags – 25 pack
- Tote Bag
Tools you get when joining Arbonne
- Your own website on myarbonne
- Mobile apps
- Marketing tools
- Marketing and Sales Training
Arbonne’s compensation plan
The compensation plan is quite lengthy, so rather than me writing here what is already written in Arbonne’s official compensation plan, I thought it would be useful to show you this video that summarises things really well:
Arbonne success stories
Arbonne‘s website shows various success stories videos, but I am always skeptical of success stories shared by the companies in question.
Going through a few Google results, I could not find any article talking about successful Arbonne consultants.
YouTube shows a few videos, but to me these just look like people speaking highly of the opportunity just to get others to join their team.
This website currently shows 448 Arbonne reviews, with a total score of 2.3/5 stars.
A total of $25k in losses has been claimed.
Complaints come from both clients not being happy about Arbonne products and consultants not being happy about the business opportunity.
In summary, here is what former Arbonne consultants have generally complained about:
- High upfront investment
- Having to use the marketing strategy that is given to you by your upline
- Being told all sort of nice things to lure you into thinking they care
- When you start, you’re expected to send 30 messages out to people you know to pitch Arbonne to them
- Uplines host the new consultants’ first Facebook Live launch party, but the upline does all the talking without giving any space to the consultant
- Everyone copies and pastes everything, so there is no personalisation to the business
- The Mercedes is not actually free. You have to lease the vehicle through a dealership in your name and pay for it monthly. You also have to have an Arbonne logo put on the Mercedes
- There is more emphasising on the recruitment than selling the actual products
Is Arbonne a pyramid scheme?
In 2017, a Texas couple sued Arbonne, accusing the company of running a pyramid scheme.
The lawsuit was settled in 2018.
Arbonne‘s business opportunity is advertised as direct selling. This is in theory correct, since consultants earn commission by selling products too and not just by recruiting other consultants.
However, I found that many complaints highlighted the fact that new consultants are pressured into making their commission by recruiting more people, rather than selling the product.
This is what pyramid schemes do!
Is Arbonne a scam?
Arbonne is not a scam.
The company has been active for many years and many people have been happy about their products.
However, their business opportunity is advertised as something anybody can do, when it actually isn’t as easy as it seems.
Their pyramid scheme kind of attitude really puts me off from recommending them as a legit way of making money online.
Is Arbonne worth it?
I personally do not think Arbonne is worth it, especially if you plan on doing what everybody else does: harassing friends and families on social media to try to make money.
When trying to sell a product or a service online, you cannot do it without having solid marketing knowledge.
Here is an example of what “Selling Arbonne Correctly” would look like:
- Have your own beauty blog set up
- Write reviews about products or various tips and recommend your Arbonne products accordingly
- Have links in your blog posts that send readers to your myarbonne site space
- People can now purchase products thanks to your genuine recommendation, rather than being forced to buy something because they have been harrassed
Here are a couple of “Bad Marketing” examples which I see many MLM consultants do:
- Spam friends and families on social media
- Contacting strangers on social media and push them to have a call to talk about the business opportunity
At this point you might be wondering: Do Arbonne consultants make money?
Well, it does not look like they do and honestly, I am not surprised since their business approach is completely wrong.
Here is what the talentedladiesclub had to say about UK Arbonne’s earnings in 2018:
- 18,400 people (88%) earned nothing
- 1,544 people (7%) earned £42 a month
- 777 people (3.7%) earned £167 a month
- 190 people (0.9%) earned £909 a month
- 70 people (0.3%) earned £3,445 a month
- 18 people (0.08%) earned £12,366 a month
Obviously those 18,400 people who earned nothing, would also have lost money by joining the business opportunity and purchasing products…
On top of that, it seems that those consultants who try very hard to make commission, end up trying some very slimy tactics. I really think you should watch the video below to see what I mean:
A better way of making money online
As I said, the problem with business opportunities such as Arbonne is that they do not teach you how to do marketing right.
I have talked about this in my Becoming a Monat Market Partner review.
The other issue is that they all require you to invest lots of money upfront, which not everybody has!
This is why I much prefer making money online with Affiliate Marketing as you can get started for FREE and it teaches you how to make money without having to harass friends, family, strangers or whatsoever.
Read my How to Make Money Online Legitimately guide to get started for FREE 🙂
I hope you enjoyed reading my “Is Arbonne a Pyramid Scheme?” article.
Have you had any experience as an Arbonne consultant that you would like to share? Please feel free to leave a comment below.